Why did George Dzudza, Paul Sorvino and Dann Florek leave L&O?
j***@gmail.com
2014-04-09 19:31:59 UTC
Why did George Dzudza, Paul Sorvino and Dann Florek leave L&O? Anyone
know?
I liked George Dzundza the most and he seemed like a New York type and I am glad they did not film this in L.A. All the street characters are typical NY types.

I thought George Dzundza left to appear in Michael Douglas movie with Sharon Stone, Basic Instinct.
Martin Edwards
2014-04-10 07:11:27 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Why did George Dzudza, Paul Sorvino and Dann Florek leave L&O? Anyone
know?
I liked George Dzundza the most and he seemed like a New York type and I am glad they did not film this in L.A. All the street characters are typical NY types.
I thought George Dzundza left to appear in Michael Douglas movie with Sharon Stone, Basic Instinct.
Further to that, why are many series putatively set all over the
subcontinent, but actually made in LA? McCloud was a particularly
egregious example, with about three stock shots keeping up the pretence.
By the time of House, the insertions were rather more skilful.
--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally. History is what we must
painfully learn and struggle to remember. -Albert
D.F. Manno
2014-04-10 15:46:06 UTC
Post by Martin Edwards
Further to that, why are many series putatively set all over the
subcontinent, but actually made in LA?
Because L.A. is where the studios and many of the associated businesses
are located.
--
D.F. Manno | ***@mail.com
GOP delenda est!
t***@bigmailbox.net
2014-04-10 18:57:59 UTC
Post by Martin Edwards
Further to that, why are many series putatively set all over the
subcontinent, but actually made in LA?
As DF Manno said, it's where the industry is. More physical plant and better weather. In the old days that meant sun because that's what they used to get an exposure. Although one of the first studios, The Black Maria, was built in NJ, because that's where Edison was.

Subcontinent?

Even Errol Flynn's turn in Sherwood Forest was shot in CA. And so was Keaton's The General. Cameron's Titanic didn't sink in the North Atlantic. Star Trek was filmed entirely on planet Earth. The Hobbit films are not shot in The Shire. A good portion of Dr. Zhivago was filmed in Spain, where Red songs made Franco's police suspicious. Apollo 13 came close to being on location though since parts were shot on the Vomit Comet for that genuine zero-g effect. 2001 was shot in the UK with a rotating piece of glass standing-in for zero-g. Full Metal Jacket never saw action in Vietnam but was made in the UK too.

Some 'Hollywood' films are made in other places, Canada, London, to avoid labor costs.

For a while Bollywood was shooting in Europe. And I've heard that Japanese productions sometimes shoot in Canada.
Post by Martin Edwards
McCloud was a particularly
egregious example, with about three stock shots keeping up the pretence.
By the time of House, the insertions were rather more skilful.
Advances in blue and green screen tech and digital modeling all help.

Was Adam's office built with wild walls or not?

If you want to see reality you'll have to watch a documentary like Grass.

And before you know it we'll be arguing about William Friese-Greene.
David Johnston
2014-04-10 19:14:01 UTC
Post by t***@bigmailbox.net
Post by Martin Edwards
Further to that, why are many series putatively set all over the
subcontinent, but actually made in LA?
As DF Manno said, it's where the industry is. More physical plant and
better weather. In the old days that meant sun because that's what
they used to get an exposure. Although one of the first studios, The
Black Maria, was built in NJ, because that's where Edison was.
Actually much of the reason why most of the film industry ended up in
L.A. was because that was as far away as they could get from Edison.
t***@bigmailbox.net
Yes, there's that too, but if that were the only thing then Alaska might've been a better choice. I'm pretty sure the weather had something to do with it.
Martin Edwards
2014-04-11 13:48:28 UTC
Post by t***@bigmailbox.net
Post by David Johnston
Post by t***@bigmailbox.net
As DF Manno said, it's where the industry is. More physical plant and
better weather. In the old days that meant sun because that's what
they used to get an exposure. Although one of the first studios, The
Black Maria, was built in NJ, because that's where Edison was.
Actually much of the reason why most of the film industry ended up in
L.A. was because that was as far away as they could get from Edison.
Yes, there's that too, but if that were the only thing then Alaska might've been a better choice. I'm pretty sure the weather had something to do with it.
Imagine the Troopers trying to dig a film crew out of a snowdrift.
--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally. History is what we must
painfully learn and struggle to remember. -Albert Goldman
Martin Edwards
2014-04-11 13:46:57 UTC
Post by Martin Edwards
McCloud was a particularly
egregious example, with about three stock shots keeping up the pretence.
By the time of House, the insertions were rather more skilful.
Advances in blue and green screen tech and digital modeling all help.
Was Adam's office built with wild walls or not?
If you want to see reality you'll have to watch a documentary like Grass.
And before you know it we'll be arguing about William Friese-Greene.
Some Bollywood films are pretty ridiculous in this connection. You are
in India, then a song starts and you are in Switzerland or London.
There are some brilliant films from the 50's, though, where local
singers or bands have obviously been drafted in where they were
shooting. If you ever get the chance see "Bandani". I believe that one
of the songs was the source for the Kinks' "See my friend". There would
have been an Indian cinema in Muswell Hill at the time.
t***@bigmailbox.net
2014-04-11 18:15:47 UTC
Some Bollywood films are pretty ridiculous.
I think that needed a period.
in this connection. You are
in India, then a song starts and you are in Switzerland or London.
That's so cool.

I once saw a western musical film where they started singing on a sidewalk in London and ended up in some animated fantasy chalk drawing. It was super.
There are some brilliant films from the 50's, though, where local
singers or bands have obviously been drafted in where they were
shooting.
But then the 60s and 70s came along and production everywhere went downhill a little bit.
If you ever get the chance see "Bandani".
Do you mean this? Or some other film?

Martin Edwards
2014-04-12 09:37:16 UTC
Post by t***@bigmailbox.net
Some Bollywood films are pretty ridiculous.
I think that needed a period.
in this connection. You are
in India, then a song starts and you are in Switzerland or London.
That's so cool.
I once saw a western musical film where they started singing on a sidewalk in London and ended up in some animated fantasy chalk drawing. It was super.
There are some brilliant films from the 50's, though, where local
singers or bands have obviously been drafted in where they were
shooting.
But then the 60s and 70s came along and production everywhere went downhill a little bit.
If you ever get the chance see "Bandani".
Do you mean this? Or some other film?
http://youtu.be/X83vDiZ5CsI
Yes.
http://youtu.be/7et3IdqlUC0
D.F. Manno
2014-04-10 15:44:25 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Why did George Dzudza, Paul Sorvino and Dann Florek leave L&O? Anyone
know?
I liked George Dzundza the most and he seemed like a New York type and I am
glad they did not film this in L.A. All the street characters are typical NY
types.
I thought George Dzundza left to appear in Michael Douglas movie with Sharon
Stone, Basic Instinct.
This may be a new record for necroposting - 14 years, 10 months, 9 days.
--
D.F. Manno | ***@mail.com
GOP delenda est!
David Amicus
2014-04-11 18:43:33 UTC
Here's some info about when Sherwood Forest came to Chico, California. My grandmother went there to see the filming.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/california/1559885-when-hollywood-came-chico.html
jack
2015-04-28 13:34:05 UTC
The silent version of The Ten Commandments was shot on a particularly sandy part of the coast north of Los Angeles. Weather is much better for outdoor shooting on the West Coast.
p***@orcutt-schools.net
2016-06-26 05:12:07 UTC
Main Street Beach in Guadalupe, California.
David Amicus
2014-04-17 18:19:19 UTC
Why did George Dzudza, Paul Sorvino and Dann Florek leave L&O? Anyone
know?
Channel surfing I came across this episode. I did not watch it. But could it be the reason Florek was written out?

http://lawandorder.wikia.com/wiki/The_Blue_Wall
t***@bigmailbox.net
My recollection is that Cragen wore a wire and got his old buddies arrested. Is that the one where one of the cops swallows his gun?
e***@gmail.com
2015-04-28 03:06:26 UTC
The 1st season cast - especially George Dzundza and Dann Florek - were the best. It was a shame Dick and George couldn't get along, and that some reasonable accommodation couldn't be made for George. It's a shame that PC reared its ugly head and caused Dann to be fired from a role he was perfect for, to be replaced by someone not half as good. A crying shame.
David Johnston
2015-04-28 03:35:49 UTC
Post by e***@gmail.com
The 1st season cast - especially George Dzundza and Dann Florek -
were the best. It was a shame Dick and George couldn't get along, and
that some reasonable accommodation couldn't be made for George.
Dzundza's issue was that he wanted to be the star of the show and didn't
like the cross-country commute. I can't think of any way those issues
could have been accommodated.

It's
Ultimately a minor enough role that it didn't matter who did it.
Martin Edwards
2015-04-28 07:41:00 UTC
Post by e***@gmail.com
The 1st season cast - especially George Dzundza and Dann Florek - were the best. It was a shame Dick and George couldn't get along, and that some reasonable accommodation couldn't be made for George. It's a shame that PC reared its ugly head and caused Dann to be fired from a role he was perfect for, to be replaced by someone not half as good. A crying shame.
My memory is hazy. What was the PC bit?
t***@bigmailbox.net
2015-04-28 09:10:32 UTC
Post by Martin Edwards
Post by e***@gmail.com
The 1st season cast - especially George Dzundza and Dann Florek - were the best. It was a shame Dick and George couldn't get along, and that some reasonable accommodation couldn't be made for George. It's a shame that PC reared its ugly head and caused Dann to be fired from a role he was perfect for, to be replaced by someone not half as good. A crying shame.
My memory is hazy. What was the PC bit?
My memory is hazy too, but IIRC TPTB wanted a woman in the role. Not so much about 'diversity' but a hope for better ratings. Part of the reason why Richard Brooks (Paul Robinette) was let go too, IIRC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_%26_Order#Casting_and_characters

"Also introduced on a recurring basis in Season 2 was Carolyn McCormick as Dr. Elizabeth Olivet, a police psychologist brought in on a case-by-case basis. NBC had been pushing for the producers to add female characters to the all male cast."

"By the end of Season 3, NBC executives still felt the show did not have enough female characters. On the orders of then-network president Warren Littlefield, new female characters had to be added to the cast or the show would face possible cancellation on its relegated Friday night time slot."

"Though producers initially claimed the firings, especially Brooks', who was said not to get along with Moriarty, were for other reasons, Wolf confirmed that the firings were on the orders of Littlefield."
David Johnston
2015-04-28 17:19:48 UTC
On Tuesday, April 28, 2015 at 3:40:58 AM UTC-4, Martin Edwards
Post by Martin Edwards
Post by e***@gmail.com
The 1st season cast - especially George Dzundza and Dann Florek -
were the best. It was a shame Dick and George couldn't get along,
and that some reasonable accommodation couldn't be made for
George. It's a shame that PC reared its ugly head and caused Dann
to be fired from a role he was perfect for, to be replaced by
someone not half as good. A crying shame.
My memory is hazy. What was the PC bit?
My memory is hazy too, but IIRC TPTB wanted a woman in the role. Not
so much about 'diversity' but a hope for better ratings.
They wanted a couple of female characters so Wolf recast the two least
important regulars. It worked too, not so much because of the
replacement lieutenant but because Kinkaid was adorable. Of course that
was less about P.C. than marketing. They wanted some female viewers.
t***@bigmailbox.net
But maybe they got more male viewers. She was adorable. Deliciously adorable and she's still alive. Still alive. Still alive!
Martin Edwards
t***@gmail.com
2016-06-12 02:30:34 UTC
Dann Florek didn't really leave Law & Order because his character went to Law & Order SVU.
David Johnston
2016-06-12 03:18:57 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Dann Florek didn't really leave Law & Order because his character went to Law & Order SVU.
George Dzundza left because he had issues with the scripts (mostly his
very small part in the scripts) and because he didn't want to relocate
his family to New York.

Paul Sorvino left amicably to pursue opera. He didn't figure the open
air shoots were good for his throat.

Dann Florek was booted because the suits had a problem with the "not a
single female character" thing. The audience was overwhelmingly skewing
male.
b***@gmail.com
2017-06-01 22:42:55 UTC
Dan Florek transfered to L&O SVU
David Johnston
2017-06-01 23:40:34 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Why did George Dzudza, Paul Sorvino and Dann Florek leave L&O? Anyone
know?
Dan Florek transfered to L&O SVU
No he was booted because the network wanted to make the show something
less than a total sausage-fest then brought back a few years later for
SUV.
jack
2017-06-02 02:45:35 UTC
So this zombie tread lurches out of the graveyard once more; 18 years and counting.
j***@gmail.com
2017-11-03 21:28:40 UTC
All three answers are dead on
B***@msn.com
2018-03-05 16:31:44 UTC
Not sure about the first 2, but Florek was let go to bring in more female leads.
jack
2018-03-05 18:40:20 UTC
Is this a game? Once a year someone pulls this thread again to see who repsonds? Whoops, I guess I did just now.
l***@gmail.com
2018-05-22 23:09:58 UTC
Dann florek left to do law and order svu
David Amicus
2018-05-23 02:10:22 UTC
But didn't L&O:SVU come a few years later than the Mothership?
Martin Edwards
2018-05-23 06:45:50 UTC
Post by David Amicus
Post by l***@gmail.com
Dann florek left to do law and order svu
But didn't L&O:SVU come a few years later than the Mothership?
Actors' careers move on. Especially in a long running series like the
Mothership, you can't expect it to have the same cast for its whole life.
David Amicus
Except for Olivia on L&O:SVU
Martin Edwards
Just so, but you can't expect it to have all the same cast.
r***@aol.com
2019-02-24 02:09:27 UTC
Liked Dzundza the best, then Orbach of all the L&O cops.
t***@bigmailbox.net
2019-02-24 22:52:07 UTC
I think I liked Orbach best too, but for me Sorvino comes in second.
r***@gmail.com
2019-03-06 21:08:35 UTC
Orbach hands down was the best. I even read an article after he passed away in which NYC beat cops were quoted, saying Orbach was by far the most realistic cop on the show and a true-life New Yorker.